Bombers rally with four third period goals, top Generals 5-3

The Bombers got off to a flying start, as they took a 1-0 lead just 12 seconds into the game as Nathan MacDonald walked over the line up the right wing and snapped a quick release, long-side past the blocker of Matthew Spencer-Dahl. Assists on the play went to Hunter Harwood and Jackson Payeur, as Spencer-Dahl gave up the first goal of his career after three straight shutouts. The Generals pushed back and tied it later in the period, after Callum Tung made two great saves on Grayson Weme – but Parker Klippenstein lifted the rebound home from in tight, with Evan Dyce also drawing an assist at 7:30 of the first. Callum Tung would come up with two big saves later in the period – the first being on a penalty shot on Brendan Carlson. The second was on a shorthanded breakaway for Jacob Thomas with under five to play in the period, as it stayed a 1-1 tie through 20 minutes.

The Bombers failed to score on a 5 on 3 for over half a minute to open the second, and soon afterwards the Generals took a 2-1 lead as Carter Johnson attempted the Mike Legg Lacrosse goal, but couldn’t get it on his stick. He would instead just throw it out front where it banked off a Bomber defender and in at 4:08 of the period. The Generals built their lead to 3-1 on the power play late in the period, as Jacob Thomas walked around a defender and in on net where he snapped it home. The lone assist went to Brendan Carlson at 13:59 of the period.

The Bombers got off to a great start in the third, as Taylor Madsen kept the puck in at the line to create a 4 on 1 that saw him send Grayson Erickson in alone, where he pulled it around the pad of Spencer-Dahl to make it 3-2 at 1:07 of the third, with Carson Steel also drawing an assist. The pace stayed high through the following minutes, until the back half of the third when a large dust up at centre saw the Bombers earn a power play. They would capitalize on it, as Hunter Harwood put a shot on goal that was stopped, but Brady McIsaac fired the rebound inside the post to make it 3-3 at 13:36, with Jaydon Merritt also assisting. The Generals went to a power play soon afterwards, but it was the Bombers that took the lead as Brady McIsaac stole it at the Bomber line and was GONE in alone in Spencer-Dahl where he went five-hole to make it 4-3 at 16:03. Before the Generals could get the extra attacker out for the equalizer, the Bombers put the game away as Jackson Payeur flipped it through centre where Justin Osborne skated onto it up the right wing where he set up Carson Steel with a cross-ice pass that he lifted home to make it 5-3 at 17:40 for the eventual final score.

Shots were 48-25 Generals, with Callum Tung and Matthew Spencer-Dahl being the goalies of record. The Bombers went 1 for 5 on the power play and also scored once while shorthanded. The Generals went 1 for 3.

The Bombers next see action Friday night when they visit the Storm in Campbell River.